TIME TO WINTERIZE SPRINKLER SYSTEMS
Winter weather is here! It is time to winterize your sprinkler system from cold temperatures. Sprinkler components and pipes are vulnerable to freezing. Fire sprinkler systems are less effective and responsive if they aren’t winterized. It also increases the risk of pipes bursting which can cause severe water damage. It is important to winterize your sprinkler system even in mild climates in the event of a cold front. Follow these simple steps to protect vulnerable sprinkler systems.
Wet Pipe System
- If your building is equipped with a wet pipe system, make sure the temperature in all areas of the building are maintained at or above 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Conduct a thorough inspection to ensure that there are no isolated drafts or cold air leaks where there are sprinkler pipes. Check for cracks in wall, broken windows, insufficient insulation, and exposed roof areas.
- Ensure the antifreeze solution is the proper concentration to protect against the lowest temperature expected in your region.
- Replace any windows or doors that allow heat to escape.
- Insulate or enclose any pipes containing water that will be exposed to temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Dry Pipe System
- If your building is equipped with a dry pipe system, ensure all low points are drained of any water.
- Verify that the dry pipe system air compressor can withstand a pressure drop caused by cold weather.
- The air compressor should be located in an area that won’t freeze.
- Check the pitch or angle of the pipes to the drains to make sure that the condensation flows properly to the low point drains. If the pitch isn’t correct, the condensation can collect elsewhere in the pipes where it could be at risk of freezing in the winter.
Prevention is the easiest and cheapest way to avoid winter weather problems with your fire sprinkler system. It can cut down on costly damage as well as repairs and help keep people and property safe throughout the winter. Schedule an appointment with Fire Control Systems today to winterize your fire sprinkler system.