How to Put Out a Grease Fire
Grease fires are one of the most common causes of kitchen and house fires. Knowing what to do is essential for preventing the fire from spreading. What should you do if a grease fire happens?
When a Grease Fire Starts:
- Cover the pot or pan with a metal lid or a cookie sheet. Leave the cover on until it has cooled. DO NOT use a glass lid because it will shatter and possibly cut you.
- Turn off the source of heat if possible, without burning yourself. You should put on oven mittens that cover your hands and forearm.
- Salt or baking soda can be poured on the fire to smother it if it is small and manageable.
- Do not try to extinguish the fire with water.
- Do not move the pot or pan.
- Use a Class B dry chemical fire extinguisher on the fire as a last resort.
Do not use baking powder, flour or other cooking powders as they have a different chemical makeup and will make the fire worse.
If You Can’t Extinguish the Fire:
- GET OUT! Leave the area and tell everyone to leave as soon as possible.
- Close the door as you leave to contain the fire.
- Call 911 as soon as you are safely away.
- Don’t return until the firefighters say that it is safe.
How to Prevent a Grease Fire:
- Never leave the stove unattended for any reason when cooking with grease. Smoke to fire can happen in less than 30 seconds if heat is high enough.
- Heat the oil slowly.
- Add food gently to prevent splatter.
- Keep a lid near the stove so that it is accessible if a fire starts.
- Keep anything that can catch fire away from the stovetop.
- Remove as much moisture as possible from the food before putting it in hot oil. Do not put frozen foods into hot grease.
- If you see any smoke or the oil smells, it is an indication that it is too hot. Immediately turn off the burner to let it cool down.
When using these guidelines, cooking with grease or oil should pose a minimal risk. A quick and proper response if a fire occurs can reduce damage and prevent injury. Call Fire Control Systems today to evaluate your kitchen for fire safety.