Make fire safety a priority to avoid becoming a holiday statistic. The winter holidays are a wonderful time for family and friends to get together and make wonderful memories. It is also a time when there is a significant increase in home fires. Homes and lives are lost needlessly from fires involving Christmas trees, candles, and unattended cooking. By taking some simple precautionary steps tragedy can be prevented and everyone can enjoy the lights and festivities while remaining safe.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
- Place Christmas tress at least 3 ft. from fireplaces, furnaces or any heat source.
- Water live Christmas trees every day. It can dry out in 2-3 days without water.
- Place lit candles away from decorations or other fire sources that can burn.
- Use flame resistant or flame-retardant decorations.
- Inspect all string lights for worn or broken cords and loose bulb connections. Replace any that are damaged.
- Don’t run more than three strands of string lights end to end. Stacking the plugs is safer.
- Hang lights with clips instead of nails to prevent damaging the cords.
- Blow out any lit candles when going to bed or leaving home.
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
- Turn off all string lights when leaving the house or going to bed.
- Deep-fry your holiday turkey outside on a flat, level surface at least 10 feet from the house.
- Stay in the kitchen while cooking. Take a potholder with you as a reminder if you do leave the kitchen.
- Don’t burn wrapping paper or Christmas tree branches in fireplaces.
- Throw away your Christmas trees within 4 weeks of placing them because they dry out.
Following these safety tips will help to keep your home and family from becoming a holiday statistic.
Wishes You a Happy, Healthy and SAFE Holiday Season!